NatHERS (Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme) is a star rating system (out of 10) that rates the thermal efficiency of the home’s design. In other words, how well the house can stay at a comfortable temperature throughout the year without artificial heating or cooling. Every Ecovillage home must achieve a minimum of 7 stars. Read more on our Sustainability Assessments page.
The drover – $354,960
DESIGNED by Nikko design; built by Tate construction
Don’t be fooled by its compact ground floor footprint of 50sqm, The Drover punches above its weight in terms of liveability, with bedrooms and bathroom upstairs doubling its overall size to 95sqm. Sun-drenched open plan living areas downstairs spill out onto a beautiful north-facing timber deck where you can sit and watch your vegetables growing in the community garden.
The Drover has been specifically designed to fit a Groupie lot but can be utilised on any Ecovillage lot. However, it’s too big to be used as an ancillary dwelling, which has a maximum allowable area of 70sqm.
Featuring design, materials and structural elements that produce a negative carbon rating and a thermal assessment of 7.3, the upper floor loft spaces are ventilated with clerestory openable windows to welcome the winter sun and cooling summer breezes. Clad in natural seasoned and pre-oiled timber, this home combines a classic group settlers design with a modern twist, perfect for a small family or a couple who like a little more space. Design, materials, fixtures and fittings meet all of the Witchcliffe Ecovillage Sustainable Building Design Guidelines.
Designed by Nikko Design for Tate Construction, this timber frame home is priced at $354,960. A single story, 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom economical version of this design – The Millhouse – starting at $241,000 is also available by emailing Tate Construction directly.
- Timber frame construction
- Zincalume roofing
- Aluminium double glazed windows
- Burnished concrete floors and tiled bathrooms / laundry
- Glulam timber benchtops with Spotted Gum Veneer cabinetry throughout.
(Refer to Specifications Schedule for more detail.)
- Passive solar design
- Well insulated, thermally efficient home
- Low embodied energy materials (carbon negative)
- Energy efficient heat pump hot water system
- Plumbed ready for greywater system
- Minimum 6.6kW solar PV system (not included)
- Rainwater tanks and pump (not included)
(Refer to Inclusions / Exclusions List for more detail.)
House & Land Package Pricing
Ecovillage House & Land Packages consist of two wholly separate contracts: for the land and the house.
- Buyers must purchase and settle on an Ecovillage lot first from the developer, Sustainable Settlements. If you need finance, you’ll need to apply for a separate loan from a financial institution for the land.
- Buyers then enter into a separate financial agreement and building contract with their chosen builder. Sustainable Settlements (the Witchcliffe Ecovillage) is not involved in this process. So regardless of whether you opt for a bespoke design and build or you choose a house design from our range of House & Land Packages, you will need to work directly with your builder and your financial institution during the home building process.
Documentation and Certifications
Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) is an excellent method for measuring the environmental impact of a building by assessing “every single impact aspect of a product or process over its entire life span. We require every Ecovillage home to undertake an LCA. Read more about Sustainability Assessments here.
The Ecovillage Design Team requested its guild of builders meet the minimum requirements outlined in this General Specification Schedule as part of their tender pricing process for Ecovillage homes. There will be variations in the materials, suppliers and pricing they have assumed for certain items. Consequently, we strongly advise you to discuss the specification schedule and associated pricing of your chosen home in detail with your builder so you understand exactly what is being built.Download Specification schedule
Please download this Inclusions and Exclusions List to understand what the builders have assumed within their build price.download inclusions / exclusions list
We have required all our builders to undertake an independent financial health check using www.alwayscheckyourbuilder.com.au and to make this available to any prospective clients on request.