The Witchcliffe Ecovillage is designed with an extensive range of onsite infrastructure and services to create an example of sustainable development that achieves:
- 100% renewable power generation on site.
- 100% self -sufficiency in water through onsite rainwater harvesting (rainwater tanks and dams).
- All infrastructure required to enable self-sufficiency in seasonal fresh foods provided by the developer.
- A local micro energy grid that utilises smart grid technology.
- All waste water recycled on site.
- Highly efficient solar passive homes that all front public open space and/or community gardens.
- Many sustainable employment, small business and education opportunities within the ecovillage.
- Revegetation and protection of remnant vegetation and creek lines to create wildlife corridors.
- Extensive shared path network to encourage and prioritise pedestrians and bikes.
- NBN fibre to each home and business provided.
The Witchcliffe Ecovillage project is recognized within the Shire of Augusta Margaret River’s Witchcliffe Village Strategy and Local Planning Strategy. An amendment to rezone the Ecovillage site to Future Development Zone in the Augusta Margaret River Shire's Local Planning Scheme 1 was endorsed by the WAPC in April 2017, and the project's Structure Plan was endorsed by the WAPC in January 2018, and is available to view here. Subdivision plans were approved in 2018, construction of dams commenced in February 2019 and construction of Stage 1 is due to start in November 2019.