There are many different commercial opportunities within the Witchcliffe Ecovillage that need enterprising people to make them happen. We’ve planned for a range of varying spaces to accommodate them including a bank of commercial storefronts that will form part of greater Witchcliffe’s main street precinct.
Our 14 Ecovillage commercial lots front either Bussell Highway or Wolghine Avenue, the Ecovillage’s main street. The Ecovillage commercial precinct will become an extension of the existing Witchcliffe townsite and will be perfect for businesses that benefit from passing traffic and tourism. Approximately 1,000 sqm in size, they are zoned Village Centre, which allows for combined residential and commercial development. So, they are suitable for development as either a standalone business or for a home behind / above a retail outlet, studio or workshop.
Reserve a titled commercial lot now
We are now taking reservations for this limited number of special lots in the Ecovillage Commercial Precinct. We have sales contracts, strata bylaws and budgets (including levies) ready for prospective buyers to transact on these titled lots.
The Commercial Lot Local Development Plans (LDPs) and the Commercial Precinct Building Design Guidelines (CBDGs) for part of this contract pack and are available for download here. The CBDGs have been written specifically for the commercial lots, but reference the residential guidelines heavily and should also be read in concert with the LDPs.
If you would like a guided site tour, check out our Events Calendar for details. Call the Sustainable Settlements office on (08) 9757 6688 or email us on [email protected] if you have any questions.download Commercial building design guidelines download Commercial local development plans
Lot price inclusions
Lot prices are excluding GST but do include:
- the cost of an NMI meter and its installation in the shared electrical switchboard
- a tailored eTool life cycle assessment and report that will provide feedback and recommendations on your specific business use. The Ecovillage has set a 90% carbon target for Ecovillage commercial businesses, i.e. your business must achieve 90% better than comparable businesses, which we believe is easily achievable using our guidelines. eTool will provide lot owners with Platinum certification on completion of this process. While all businesses should strive for net zero carbon at 100%, we didn’t want to make the certification process too onerous.
Strata title ownership
The 13 (potentially 15) strata commercial lots are in two separate stratas (A and B) divided by Willerin Lane, which is a Public Road Reserve. We chose to make the commercial lots Strata Title instead of Green Title for several reasons:
- The owners can share in the communal ownership and management of nearly 40ha of Ecovillage Commons land and enjoy its myriad amenities.
- They will benefit from having Strata Bylaws, which will ensure businesses adhere to the sustainability principles and operational standards of the Ecovillage.
- Each lot will also share an electrical switchboard with a single point connection to the Western Power grid, which sits on common property. Owners will benefit from reduced 100% renewable energy costs that come with using CleanTech (instead of Synergy) as our energy retailer and the potential to upscale their solar systems.
- Commercial lot owners will formally be part of the Ecovillage, which will offer a unique and advantageous marketing and branding opportunity.
There will be strata levies for these commercial lots, but they will be minimal as they only pertain to the shared electrical switchboard, not communal buildings, as is commonly the case in many built stratas.
All of the Ecovillage lots are deep sewered and connected to our Ecovillage wastewater treatment plant. As such, commercial lots will have annual sewer rates that are pegged to standard Water Corp fees and will be billed by TMC Witchcliffe, our licensed wastewater treatment service provider.
Green title lot and lot 1 proposed subdivision
There is only one Green Title lot in the entire Ecovillage and this commercial lot fronting Bussell Hwy is separated from STRATA A by a Pedestrian Accessway. As such, we were unable to include it in the strata. Lot 1 in Strata A fronting Bussell Highway is earmarked for future subdivision into three lots as per the concept plan, but is also available in 1, 2 or 3 lot configurations. Email us for more information.