Ecovillage homes will come in all shapes and sizes. You can choose a fully costed design from one of our Pre-designed Homes or you can design and build your own custom home. No matter which option you choose, all Witchcliffe Ecovillage homes will be guided by the Sustainable Building Design Guidelines to ensure they share the common thread of being highly sustainable, energy efficient and aesthetically representative of this beautiful place.
your two building options at the Ecovillage
Our suite of Ecovillage house designs are the most sustainable and affordable house designs on the market, and we want to ensure you have this choice available to you when deciding on what, when and how to build. There are many benefits to choosing a Pre-designed Home, which will save you time and give you certainty, including:
- The six Ecovillage designs are available as a fixed build price with a number of builders working in the Ecovillage.
- They meet our Sustainable Building Design Guidelines (BDGs) and specify appropriate natural materials.
- They are made to perfectly fit the block type and are able to meet the Local Development Plans (LDPs).
- They have already undergone the mandatory thermal and life cycle assessments we require of all Ecovillage house designs.
- You can move much quicker through the Ecovillage design review process and progress to acquiring a Builders’ Permit with the AMR Shire, which will fast-track your timeline.
Fancy designing your own bespoke home? Know a great architect? Want to try your hand at Owner Builder? Got a mate with a builder’s license?
All of these options are available to you if you’d rather head down the custom homes route. The key thing to remember is that all Ecovillage homes, regardless of who designs and builds them, must meet the requirements detailed in the Sustainable Building Design Guidelines. Each house design will also need to undergo a Life Cycle Assessment and a NatHERS thermal assessment, in addition to a building review process by the Ecovillage Design Team before it is submitted to the Augusta-Margaret River Shire for building approval.
Choosing a service provider
We no longer have a Preferred Suppliers page or make recommendations as with so many service providers now working at the Ecovillage, we cannot be held responsible for their workmanship or conduct. Now that development at the Ecovillage is well progressed and there are many housing examples for buyers to view, builders’ signs erected and homeowners to talk to, it is much easier for buyers to do their own research and make informed decisions.