NatHERS (Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme) is a star rating system (out of 10) that rates the thermal efficiency of the home’s design. In other words, how well the house can stay at a comfortable temperature throughout the year without artificial heating or cooling. Every Ecovillage home must achieve a minimum of 7 stars. Read more on our Sustainability Assessments page.
THE PIONEER - From $211,656*
DESIGNED in-house by the Ecovillage design Team
your choice of builder, materialS and price
The Pioneer is aptly named as it was these intrepid folk who built the first group settlement homes, known as "groupies", in the Witchcliffe area. Its compact 70sqm floor area makes it a perfect little nest for a single person or couple and also enables it to be used as an ancillary dwelling. We're also offering plenty of flexibility and choice when it comes to building materials and pricing.
The Pioneer has been specifically designed to fit a Groupie lot and does so with simplicity and finesse. However, at 70sqm total area, the Pioneer also doubles as the perfect ancillary dwelling, as it meets the maximum allowable footprint under AMR Shire planning regulations. All Cottage and Family lots are zoned to allow ancillary dwellings.
Designed in-house by the Ecovillage Design Team, we are offering three structural and pricing options for this home with three different builders.
- Timber frame with four different cladding and pricing options by Econcepts.
- Hempcrete by Zendo Homes
- Passive house by iSmart and Tallwood Homes
*See below for pricing options and download the specification schedule for more detail. To enquire about this home in a particular structural / cladding option, please contact the relevant builder directly.
- Three choices of structural materials:
- Timber (four cladding options)
- Vulcan Hector FSC Mix Fine Bandsawn Austim - $226,096.00
- Locally sourced Plantation Eucalyptus Saligna (Sydney Blue Gum) - $221,364.00
- Linea FC Cladding James Hardie - $211,656.00
- New Tech wood - $222,894.00
- Hempcrete - $225,170.00
- Passive house - price on enquiry
- Zincalume roofing
- uPVC double glazed windows
- Burnished concrete floors and tiled bathrooms / laundry
(Refer to Specifications Schedule for more detail.)
- Passive solar design
- Well insulated, thermally efficient home
- Low embodied energy materials (carbon negative)
- Energy efficient heat pump hot water system
- Plumbed ready for greywater system
- Minimum 6.6kW solar PV system (not included)
- Rainwater tanks and pump (not included)
(Refer to Inclusions / Exclusions List for more detail.)
House & Land Package Pricing
Ecovillage House & Land Packages consist of two wholly separate contracts: for the land and the house.
- Buyers must purchase and settle on an Ecovillage lot first from the developer, Sustainable Settlements. If you need finance, you'll need to apply for a separate loan from a financial institution for the land.
- Buyers then enter into a separate financial agreement and building contract with their chosen builder. Sustainable Settlements (the Witchcliffe Ecovillage) is not involved in this process. So regardless of whether you opt for a bespoke design and build or you choose a house design from our range of House & Land Packages, you will need to work directly with your builder and your financial institution during the home building process.
Documentation and Certifications
Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) is an excellent method for measuring the environmental impact of a building by assessing “every single impact aspect of a product or process over its entire life span. We require every Ecovillage home to undertake an LCA. Read more about Sustainability Assessments here.
The Ecovillage Design Team requested its guild of builders meet the minimum requirements outlined in this General Specification Schedule as part of their tender pricing process for Ecovillage homes. There will be variations in the materials, suppliers and pricing they have assumed for certain items. Consequently, we strongly advise you to discuss the specification schedule and associated pricing of your chosen home in detail with your builder so you understand exactly what is being built.Download Specification schedule
Please download this Inclusions and Exclusions List to understand what the builders have assumed within their build price.download inclusions / exclusions list
We have required all our builders to undertake an independent financial health check using www.alwayscheckyourbuilder.com.au and to make this available to any prospective clients on request.